Install GNU/Linux without any CD, floppy, USB-key, nor any other removable media

Install GNU/Linux without any CD, floppy, USB-key, nor any other removable media

I have a server running CentOS 4 with internet on it. This server is without any CD Drive, floppy Drive, USB-key, nor any other removable media and its Remote server.

How do i install CentOS 5 on it? I have searched in various forums, posted in various forums.
After a long hour I have came to solution.

I am writting here what excataly I have done.

Since, I have net connection on current system,

1. I have downloaded ISO image of centos 5 (1 CD only)
2. mkdir /mnt/tmp
3. mount -o loop CentOS-5.0-x86_64-bin-1of7.iso /mnt/tmp
4. cp -a /mnt/tmp/isolinux/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuzMy
5. cp -a /mnt/tmp/isolinux/initrd.img /boot/initrdMy.img
6. umount /mnt/tmp
7. Add entry to your /etc/grub.conf
title Fedora Core 2 Installation
root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/vmlinuzMy
initrd /boot/initrdMy.img
8. Reboot system
9. Now your is booted and ready for new installation.
10. Select installation method you want (FTP, HTTP or NFS probably). I have selected http
11. Give your Name server and ipdetails.
12. Give site & Dir (I have given)
mirror.stanford.edu
/yum/pub/centos/5/os/x86_64/

I think its ok to install now :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
is not working
Anonymous said…
I have install instilled using same, can you please tell me where actually problem.
Anonymous said…
Many THANKS for this!!

I have been trying to do basically this for 48 hours and I have Googled everything!

My situation was this...

I have just got a dedicated server at FastHosts and although it comes LAMP configured with a reasonable CP called Matrix I decided to splash out on C'Panel as I have about 30 domains to transfer. As a Linux virgin I am fed up of messing with the command prompt and locating the same file in Ubuntu and CentOS which are in totally different places (my short term memory is terrible)

It is ironic really because I loathe paying for software (hence the Linux route) but the simplicity of setting Cron jobs and sub-domains alone for 30+ sites is going to be worth it as opposed to the cost of my time and loss of sanity.

Also due to the difficulties I had in moving to a new server I wanted to try VMWare to create a virtual server that would be easier to move if I wanted to.

So for this I only need a basic installation of CentOS to start with.

The server comes with a remote control card so in theory you can mount the ISO and reboot and that is it.

Now whether it is just noobie me or Windows Vista I don't know but I could not get a connection to the downloaded iso file via the control panel and Windows Share no matter what I tried.

I wanted to let you know your method was just what I have been searching for.

I needed a slight modification to the GRUB.

I had Ubuntu Drapper 6.06 on the server and the menu file is in
/boot/grub/menu.lst


I also was unable to use HTTP or FTP as the server had no device controller.

So I have opted to download the DVD .iso for CentOS-5.1

So during the 40 minutes It takes to download the 4GB file, I thought I would reply in case my findings help anyone else.


Richard
Prabhat Kumar said…
thanks of appreciate.
This the only aim of open source. "Pass the knowledge"

Popular posts from this blog

How do I Use the Linux Top Command?

IOPS measurement